History West Horsley Place Stone Kitchen At the east end of the house is the Stone Kitchen. It dates from the Tudor period, as is proved by the large and splendid window with small panes retaining much of the original glass. The window extends upwards to double the current height of the room. A kitchen of this period would have been open to the roof to cope with heat and smoke. There is no historic cooking range in the chimney recess, but the furnishing of the room does hark back to a time when this kitchen would have been very busy, with many servants preparing and distributing the food. The sturdy kitchen table and the related sideboard and dresser are probably 19th century, and the sash-operated panel in the door brings very clearly to mind the dishes being passed through to be taken to the dining room. The corridor linking the kitchen to the end of the house offers a very intriguing contrast between ancient and modern. In the middle of an astonishing display of electric power, of mysterious origin, nestles a very old-fashioned item: a panel showing in which room a bell has been rung to summon a servant (as many as six of the possible areas requiring assistance are bathrooms). Two of the bedrooms are listed as those of Lord and Lady Crewe. It derives therefore from immediately after the time the house was bought in 1931. Crewe made West Horsley Place spectacularly comfortable with central heating, electricity and water throughout the house, even in the servants' rooms in the attic. But these facilities, disregarded since his time, became unuseable. The Stone Kitchen can be seen in Howards End, Enola Holmes, Ghosts and Mothering Sunday.